A well-rounded leader and advisor, Jon Copaken is active in the entire development process, including major tenant office and retail leasing, financing, land acquisition, zoning, and construction. He is also instrumental in the firm’s leadership and strategic planning initiatives, and an expert in forming public and private partnerships.
Jon is currently responsible for two new development projects, Corrigan Station and REVERB, both in the Crossroads area of downtown Kansas City. Corrigan Station is a 140,000 square foot development involving the rehabilitation of a historic office building and construction of a 277-car parking garage which were completed in December 2016. The second phase of Corrigan Station is underway and includes the creation of a new mixed-use building. REVERB is 14-story distinctive apartment building at 18th and Walnut which will contain 132 units atop a two-story parking garage and will include a 2,000 square foot of retail tenant, rooftop bar, and a private outdoor terrace and lounge.
Additionally, Jon led the team on the redevelopment of the 55,000 square foot Kirkwood Building for Service Management Group, which was the first restoration project in Kansas City to achieve LEED™ Gold certification. He also led the development of the Plaza Colonnade, a 345,000 square foot project which includes an office tower, library facility, parking garage and retail building on the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City. His most recent development was a luxury high-rise apartment project, Arterra, which included 126 units.
Jon is active in several civic and economic development organizations. He is primarily focused on the future of downtown Kansas City and issues affecting the urban core.
Prior to joining Copaken Brooks in 1993, Jon was an analyst in the real estate acquisitions department of Prudential Insurance Company in Chicago, and worked abroad on several real estate projects in Warsaw, Poland.
Professional Designations & Awards
- Midwest Commercial Real Estate Hall of Fame, 2019
- KC Chamber Small Business of the Year, 2013
- Power 100 (2014-2017), Kansas City Business Journal
- Capstone Award, Corrigan Station
- Cornerstone Award, Corrigan Station, Tom’s Town
- Kansas City Chamber Centurions Leadership Program
Civic & Professional Engagement
- Art in the Loop, Board of Directors
- Kansas City Streetcar Authority, Board of Directors
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Downtown Council of Kansas City, Past Chair
- Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO), Member
- Economic Dev. Council, Board of Directors (2004-2005)
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce (2004-2006)
- Civic Council of Greater Kansas City (2005-2016)
- Kansas City Municipal Parking Authority (1999-2007)
- Kansas City Municipal Arts Commission (1999-2008)
Notable Projects & Clients
- REVERB, Kansas City
- Arterra, Kansas City
- Corrigan Station I & II, Kansas City
- Plaza Colonnade, Kansas City
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A. American History
- University of Michigan, M.B.A.