When others see complexity, Keith Copaken sees the pieces that need to fit together in order to be successful. Whether it’s leasing, development, management, or investment, Keith is active in the entire spectrum of real estate services.
Notable career accomplishments include: leading development of City Center Lenexa, structuring the joint venture and third-party debt for the Plaza Colonnade, the addition of Nordstrom to Oak Park Mall, and development of the former NCAA national headquarters building, to name a few.
City Center Lenexa is a two million square foot mixed-use, new-urbanism, retail, civic, office, and residential development designed to be the new downtown for Lenexa, Kansas. To date, more than 600,000 square feet have been developed, with 20 acres remaining. Keith is also overseeing the master planning and development of Renaissance Park along College Boulevard in Overland Park, with 525,000 square feet already developed in three signature buildings, and 30 acres remaining in the high-profile, premier suburban mixed-use office, retail and residential.
Keith is integrally involved in Copaken Brooks’ six plus million square foot office and retail portfolio, as well as the firm’s governance and strategic direction. Over the years, he has worked with many retailers including Nordstrom, Target, Dillard’s, Walmart, and JCPenney.
Professional Designations & Awards
- Midwest Commercial Real Estate Hall of Fame, 2015
- KC Chamber Small Business of the Year, 2013
- Capstone Award, Perceptive Software Headquarters
Civic & Professional Engagement
- University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Board of Trustees
- Chair of Governance Committee
- Real Estate Committee
- Kansas City Area Development Council (KCADC), Board of Directors
- Urban Land Institute, Commercial & Retail Development Council
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Overland Park Chamber of Commerce, Past Chair
- Johnson County Reappraisal Advisory Committee
Notable Projects & Clients
- City Center Lenexa, Lenexa
- Grundfos Pumps Regional Headquarters, Lenexa
- Nordstrom, Oak Park Mall, Overland Park
- Plaza Colonnade, Kansas City
- Renaissance Park, Overland Park
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A. Economics
- University of California, Berkeley, Master of City Planning and Real Estate